New glaze Number 2 colour test

Following on from my last post where I said I wanted to try out a new colour blend on a new base glaze, below are the results.

new-no-2.jpeg

They are numbered 2.a , 2.b , 2.c , 2.d , 2.e , 2.f , 2.g , 2.h , 2.i , 2.j

I wanted to replicate the autumnal colours I got with number 16 base glaze by adding the same oxides to this new base glaze.

The first 4 are No 2 base glaze +

2.a – 10% yellow ocre, 5% rutile, 5% manganese

2.b – 5% red iron ox, 5% rutile

2.c – 10% nickel ox, 8% orange stain

2.d – 5% red stain, 5% manganese

The send image are No 16 base glaze +

16,jjj – 5% titanium, 5%rutile, 8% orange stain

16, iii – 10% nickel ox, 8% orange stain

16, eee – 5% red iron ox, 5% rutile, 5%titanium

16, ddd – 10% yellow ocre, 5% rutile %5 manganese

When I came to mix them I didn’t want to replicate them completely the same as I don’t like the peachy coloured glaze on its own, the titanium that was added to it creates a very pale peach. This glaze (16, jjj) is horrible on it’s own but added on top of the other glazes creates some lovely glaze blends. I also didn’t add titanium to 2.b from the original number 16 glaze.

In hindsight it would have been good to mix the 2 base glazes with the same additives to get a proper comparison, lesson learnt!

Although these 4 autumnal colours are not ideal on there own they will work with the other autumnal glazes in different combinations.

no 2 glaze

2.e has 5% green stain and 5%yellow stain and rutile in it but has come out white! so I decided to add an extra 5% green and 5% yellow stain to the glaze to try and get a better lime colour. Below is the result of the before and after. There is still only a hint of green at the edges but I think that is due to me applying the glaze too thick.no-2-ee.jpeg

No 2.g is a nice colour and I wondered if I added titanium to the mix it would make a paler green. Below is the before and after image. This is a prime example of glazing being so unpredictable, I expected to get a paler version instead I got a much darker one!!

However this image does show what a lovely surface finish this number 2 glaze can create with these small subtle crystal formations!no-2-gg.jpeg

2.h and 2.i  have red stain and titanium and red stain and rutile in. I only added a small amount of stain as I want to make a pink blossom colour. The image doesn’t give a true representation of the glaze because they did produce some nice pinks, however I think I need to add more stain.

Following on from this first batch I’m convinced that I need t try more colour tests with this glaze.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

k-to-t.jpeg

Above are the second set of colour tests I tried with this new base glaze. There numbered from 2.k – 2.t2 k to t

I’m very happy with a colours of these tile. 2.t – the black one is great and will work well with my winter colour palette along with 2.r.

2.m and 2.n are a nice subtle pink, just what I want with my spring blossom colour palette.

My next plan is the glaze some small test pots with these glazes and combine them with the other glossy glaze to see how they work together.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s