Autumnal glaze development

Following on from my last glaze post (October 19th) I mentioned that I needed to add rutile to the text pots to see if they could come out more interesting so I added 5% rutile to each of the different samples.

Here is the difference of the before and after rutile.

 

 

I am please with how they have turned out, the rutile has definitely added more interest and the glazes are no so flat anymore.

However I still needed to work on the colours. These are supposed to be my autumnal colour range and currently they are very brown! One thing for sure I need to do is add rutile to my glazes.

 

I then decided to mix up a new batch of No16 Glaze and tried different oxides and stains in the hope of getting more oranges and autumnal colours.

These are the  added ingredients to No 16 glaze:-

aaa – Manganese Dioxide 5%, Rutile 5%, Orange stain 5%

bbb – Chrome Oxide 3%, Rutile 5%, Manganese dioxide 5%

ccc – Nickel Oxide 5%, Rutile 5%, Titanium oxide 5%

ddd – Yellow Ocre 10%, rutile 5%, Manganese dioxide 5%

eee – red iron ox 5%, rutile 5%, Titanium ox 5%

fff – Cobalt ox 1%, rutile 5% titanium 5%

ggg – orange stain 8%, rutile 5%, red iron ox 4%

hhh –

iii – nickel ox 10%, orange stain 8%

jjj – titanium 5%, rutile 5%, orange stain 8%

As you can see I have added 3 different ingredients as I hoped this would add extra interest and depth to each glaze.

Below are the results of the above glaze ingredients. The top set are fired in oxidation while the bottom are fired in reduction.

27755d89-3da4-41cc-b91d-724d6f2672c8

My overall intention for these glazes will be to see how they all work blended together as I don’t plan on using just one glaze per vessel I want to see them blending together as this will then create even more colour and interest. I also want to start testing the glazes on a 3D form as I feel this will give a better representation of how the glaze works.

From the above test I selected these colours which are ddd, eee, iii and jjj. I then will do some more tests which will be a tile blend test and testing on bowls.

6a19914c-9005-4562-bae5-f39d2e23b0d8

Below are the results of my blend test tile. This blend test has given me a lot of information as to how they all will work with them blending together. 

e12b446d-8388-432f-b80b-9b3485c9a2a4

Although test tiles are great I want to see the glazes on a 3D form so I therefore threw a lot of small bowls and then dipped them and rotated the pattern to get a full range of how the glazes could work.

The inside of each bowl has 1 of each glaze while the outside has each of the other 3 glazes. The inside was poured and the outside glaze were dipped.

07a48fe0-37c1-4920-93b5-65ce70874e40
No 16 base glaze + jjj – iii – ddd – eee inside, then the other 3 glazes dipped outside.

9cba46be-8685-4353-bc9e-6ba3fec68dbd

I am very please with these glazes, they blend very well together. I like how glaze jjj blends and bleeds really well on top of other glazes as shown on the first pot. Other colours of blues and purples are appearing as well which is an added bonus. Glaze jjj on its own I am not so keep on, it is too peachy but I will use on top of other glazes to get the bleeded effect. Glaze number eee is showing some lovely rusted colours which works great for autumnal colours. Glaze ddd is a very earthy deep green again working well for autumn colours while glaze iii is a deep brown glossy glaze.

Over all I am very pleased with this group of glazes. My next task will be to mix a larger batch of each so that I can glaze some of my larger vessels and my thrown ensembles.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s